What did you think of Aleenta BARRE to begin with?
I really enjoyed the classes! I’m not particularly coordinated, but I enjoy going to the gym; I liked the strength and repetition aspect, being on my toes and using muscles I wouldn’t normally – my abs were quite sore the next day. The soundtrack was really good and it was an enjoyable environment to exercise in. I expected it to be more ballet-y actually!
Tell us more about the BNKR boutique at the start of Adelaide’s Rundle Mall.
BNKR – the website itself – began around three years ago, and our Adelaide flagship is nearing two years! We’re actually opening another flagship in Los Angeles in around a month as LA girls fit our labels quite well. The aesthetic of the flagships is industrial, cool and modern, without being alienating. And we generally stock the entire collection, not just a few pieces as some other retailers do, which sets us apart.
What makes BNKR unique?
Each label releases 11 collections per year, which means the styles available are always on-trend and very directional – quite often ahead of the trend itself. All of the labels are aware of evolving with the audience and are well price-pointed with amazing, well-designed pieces. We stock five different labels – C/MEO Collective, Finders, Keepsake, The Fifth, and Jaggar Footwear – to cater for any kind of girl and any kind of occasion.
Top 5 fashion trends for 2016?
1. The ‘70s trend is still quite strong – think flares, buckles and earthy tones.
2. ‘Athleisure’ – such as varsity-style jackets and a lot of easy-wearing jersey
and marle pieces.
3. Blush tones – Keepsake has a stunning metallic bronze spin on this trend.
4. Psychedelic prints – bold, dynamic and striking.
5. Footwear – textural fibres in heels and a retro vibe.
Tell us more about this ‘athleisure’ trend.
It was all over the runways and streets at New York Fashion Week – bomber jackets, track pants and sneakers incorporated with more polished pieces. It feels like a trend that is here to stay; everyone can wear this style.
What is your go-to wear for barre class?
Definitely The Fifth Label. http://fashionbunker.com/label/the-fifth
Here are some of Lucy’s picks from The Fifth Label for wearing to barre class:
1. Delilah Singlet, blue marle - $49.95: http://fashionbunker.com/delilah-singlet?color=blue+marle
2. Late Night Pant, light grey marle - $89.95: http://fashionbunker.com/late-night-pant?color=light+grey+marle 3.
Late Night Top, olive - $79.95: http://fashionbunker.com/late-night-top?color=olive
4. On Your Mark singlet, olive and white stripe, $44.95: http://fashionbunker.com/on-your-mark-singlet?color=olive+%26+white+stripe